I remember when I watched The Social Dilemma for the first time, one line in particular stood out to me:
“Do you check your smartphone before you pee in the morning, or while you are peeing?"
Though I wouldn’t consider myself a social media addict, I am guilty of at least one bad habit when it comes to my phone: checking my notifications first thing in the morning. I often find myself laying in bed for 10 minutes or more, mindlessly scrolling through notifications, social media feeds, and reading news articles about what’s going on in the world. And when I say often, I mean basically every day.
While keeping up to date with friends, family and global affairs is no bad thing in and of itself, I always had a sense that I was wasting time and potentially causing other harm to my psyche. Not only was diving into my phone disrupting the natural thought process that you get in early moments of wakefulness, depending on what I read I also found that my whole mood for the day could be ruined!
Instead of allowing my mind to wander and contemplate, it's directed towards external stimuli, much of which can be depressing or negative. And research tends to agree:
- Exposure to the blue light emitted by smartphones can interfere with the body's natural circadian rhythm, potentially affecting sleep quality and overall well-being.
- Constant phone checking can diminish the ability to be present in the current moment. This lack of mindfulness may impact overall focus and cognitive function throughout the day.
- Similar to personal observations, studies suggest that exposure to negative news or social media content early in the day can contribute to a more negative mood.
So this is what I plan to do to change this in 2024!
1. Resist temptation
This step is going to be based purely on willpower (and the power of new year’s resolutions!) but my first goal is to resist the urge to reach for my phone. I’m going to try replacing it with a glass of water, or even just lying there still for a moment and letting my brain wander onto the day’s plans.
2. Spend mornings more mindfully
From now on I’m going to try and do at least one of the following activities before looking at any screens:
- 30 minutes of yoga
- 10 minutes of gratitude journaling
- 45 minute walk
- 30 minutes of cleaning while listening to music or a podcast
Do you have a habit that you want to change in 2024? Let's break the habit together and embrace mornings filled with intention, positivity, and presence. Grab your free 2024 Goals Planner today to help you plan for a better year 🌞✨